Monday, September 22, 2008

How Did I Impact The Environment Today?

Well lets see today I did not do much. I went to work and was there all day basically. I did few things that I know impacted the environment, not in the best way possible...

First of all, my co-workers and I wasted a lot of paper. We could of saved the papers to use as notes for later. Even though most of them were receipts, the back were still blank. At my job we use plain paper to fold the clothes (they go in the middle of the clothes and we just fold over the paper, making it a lot straighter). A lot of paper went to the clothes and once we sold something, for the most part we just throw out the paper. I tried to reuse the blank paper over on other clothes but with some of them I did throw away =-/

Second, I bought tea (twice) and both of those times the store gave me paper cups. Even though one cup was small and the other one was big, there was a lot of waste there. I actually wanted to bring my thermal to work but I ended up rushing myself and completely forgot to prepare it. It would of been a good idea being that my thermal is pretty big.

I will be honest, I hardly do anything for the environment. The only thing that I do is recycle but I know there is a lot more I can do. After reading Al Gore's book, I realized that I should be doing a lot more than what I am doing right now but I am lazy even though I know it does not take much. I can say I'm just making up excuses for myself. Instead of buying coffee or tea, I know I can get into the habit of bringing my thermal. It will be a smart idea because I would do something good for the environment and save money (which we all can use)!

I have two major concerns: 1) The water shortage that we are undergoing. I did not know about this problem and it was shocking to find out. If we run out of water, we will not be able to survive in this world. I don't know about everybody but I know there is a lot of things I still want to do before I stop existing from this world.
2) Global warming is something that's very scary. All those ice glaciers that are melting is something that everyone should be worried about.

I wish everyone would realize what is going on with the world and change. The government should really step in and do something but that seems a lot to be asking for.

6 comments:

Doctor X said...

I love your entry! It looks very "bloggy." next time try adding some links, videos, or photos.

DarkSkyLady said...

This class is making a lot of us think about what is wrong with the environment and how we can help. The fact that we are noticing the waste is a plus, now all we need is to decide what to do about it. Your concerns are very real and, if things keep heading downhill, extremely imminent. More people should be required to take a class with environmental safety in mind, just to get them to be more aware than they are now. Your blog is very honest, keep being aware.

Anonymous said...

yeah i agree with you when you say that the water situation is a little important to worry about. I didnt even know the world was going short on water. there are countries that depend on water and dont have nothing else. you should maybe have your thermal near your door on the way out so that you dont miss it when you leave! maybe that will help you remember

abc123 said...

Admitting your flaw is the first step. In regards to you "two cups of tea", imagine if everyone used a thermal cup for just one day, how much trash that can reduce. It is fine details that make a big picture. The little you do really help!

Debbie said...

I believe your blogger is being genuine and also stating the important facts of how you want to help the enviroment and the ideas impressed me of how to help the environment.The content of the blog is very good. I believe the format of your blog is good in text and its separate paragraphs makes it more interesting to read instead of confusing you all in one. Also, your design of you photo,fonts,and colors are the perfect size.

Edward Lam said...

Water level is raising in every year. It is inevitable the level is raising. We need to major change in our life style.